Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How D day went down...

I wake up to the ungodly hour of six am and make it to the shower. I force myself in and wash up one last time with the special hibiclens soap. Then I sleepily get in the car and we are off. About an hour later we arrive barely making it on time due to a ton of traffic we hit on the way, and my nerves finally kicked in. 'Oh no! We're here?!' I checked in to the pretty lady at the front desk. And within five minutes I was called to go back and get ready. I wasn't allowed to have my Bobby with me during this time. I took the elevator up to the second floor and when I got out of it the nurse aid seen me and ushered me in to the pre-op area. She said your nervous? Uh, yeah I'm nervous, I'm about to have surgery, like it was some crazy thing. I told here the thing I'm most nervous for is the anesthesia part, going under. She agreed and said she had never done it either. She instructed me to take the pregnancy test (which is typical when having a surgery, anesthesia is very bad for unborn babies) and I did. Next I was motioned to the bed at the end of the row. I was very shy and made my way to the bed. I wanted so badly to run the opposite direction, but somehow, someway, I had the bravery to keep putting one foot in front of the other and made my way to the bed. Once I arrived at the bed, the million questions started. The nurse came by and told me to change into my gown. I was able to keep my socks on and even put some slip restart comfy socks on over them. Next, the anesthesiologist came and started talking to me about that. He distracted me with questions and answers as the nurse probed my arm trying to find a vein. He seemed so familiar to me, like I knew him from somewhere. He told me he would trust these procedures for his wife and daughter, which put me more at ease. After the IV was in and he asked if I had any other questions, I really felt anxious. I asked if I could have something to calm me down and they told me it was coming. More and more people started gathering at the foot of my bed and discussing my surgery. Then, my baby came around the curtain and he leaned in and gave me a kiss. 'Ahh,' that felt great. He seen me looking around, and locked his eyes with mine. He did this several times as I grew anxious. This really helped me. I remember his eyes, so beautiful, so loving. I would follow those eyes anywhere. I knew at that moment this was all going to be alright. A man injected some clear fluid in my IV, I was worried it was the anesthesia but he told me it was a sedative to help me relax. I said okay. A minute later, I was very nervous and asked, when will it start working? He told me only a few minutes. I said okay. Bobby was instructed to give me a kiss bye and he did. Then I was wheeled away from the pre-op area and into the operating room, which didn't seem like a long ways, but who knows, cause I was sedated. Last thing I remember was them telling me to scoot over to the next bed. And when I went to sit up, I felt very sleepy and told them, I feel the sedative. And that is the last thing I remember. Next thing I know, I'm in a different room on a different bed with a different nurse. I had a oxygen mask on and I looked at the nurse and said, 'is it over?' And she said yes. Talk about the most relieving feeling ever. She then took my oxygen mask off and I asked for Bobby. He was there fairly quickly and I was so happy to see his smiling face. I was kicked out the bed pretty fast, she gave me my cloths and asked me to change and closed the curtain. I felt very off balance and was surprised I was allowed to dress myself so quickly.  But I managed to get the job done and was soon wheeled off to the back door where my hubby picked me up at. He was able to get few hilarious videos of me all messed up on the anesthesia. That stuff is crazy. 

Anyway, that is the blow by blow of how it all went down. All in all I had a positive experience with my first, hopefully last, surgery.  Tomorrow it will be one week. This last week has gone by very fast. I have been resting a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment